Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Life's Purpose

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

My desire is to see the world be changed by coming to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. To accomplish this I plan to spend my life trying to be like Christ in everything I think, say or do. There are a couple of things that I want to share with you that I want to spend my life doing so that I can make a lasting difference in this world. I am passionate about preaching the Gospel, adoption, and giving to under-privileged people. Let me tell you a little bit about each one and how I became passionate about it.

First is the Gospel. I grew up going to Catholic Church with my mom and grandma so I have always known that God was real. The thing I did not know is that the God who created everything wants a personal relationship with me. There is one problem though, I am a sinner and my sin offends a holy and perfect God. Everybody has thought, said, or done something that is contrary to God, we are rebels. Everybody has also made something other than God ultimate in their life be it themselves, a relationship, money, a job, etc. This is the definition of sin and it is that sin that separates us from God. The Gospel aka "Good News" is that God has taken care of the problem. Jesus Christ who is fully God wrapped in flesh lived a sinless life and died a substitutionary death in our place on the cross to make atonement for all sins (past, present, or future). That means Jesus Christ took on death for us in our place so that the payment for sin could be made and if we repent from our sins and place our faith in Christ as our only hope then we will get to spend all eternity with Him in heaven. That's the Gospel and I plan to spend my life and make my living preaching the Gospel to anyone who will listen. The Gospel has changed my entire life, it changed how I look at the world and the people in it. My passion for the Gospel has influence the next thing I am passionate about which is adoption.

Adoption is a big sacrifice and it is not for everybody, but here is what I know that there are millions of children in the United States and across the world who could use some love, a good meal, an education, a roof over their head, and a shot at a decent life. I always thought adoption was cool but never did think it was for me but let me tell you two things that changed my opinion. The first is a book, Adopted for Life by Russell Moore. The book talks about his personal experience adopting and how God has adopted us into His family because of Jesus Christ. It is a great, great book (easily in the top 5 I have ever read) and it just changed how I looked at adoption. The second thing that confirmed my passion for adoption is two kids that I like to refer to as Thing 1 and Thing 2. Kurt and Makaila Cassamajor are beautiful people considering every thing they have been thorough in their short lives. They are energetic, smart, athletic, and love both life and Jesus. I love Kurt and Makaila like they are my own and it just confirmed in my heart that I want more kids to love who are not necessarily mine biologically. I plan on adopting two kids as soon as I can afford to financially and raise them as if they were my own. I am thankful for those considering adoption and for organization that help further adoption.

The last thing I am passionate about it giving to and serving underprivileged people across the world. Millions and perhaps billions of people in the world live on less money per day than I spend on fries at lunch. Yes, living off less money per day than one cup of Starbucks. Millions are dying from starvation, communicable disease, and lack of clean water. I read a book titled Radical by one of my favorite pastors, David Platt. He talked about these people and compared them to Americans who live in luxury with our 2,000 sq. ft houses, cars, and numerous other things that are certainly not necessities in life. I want to live a life where I sacrificially spend my time and money to help these people. There are all kinds of organizations that drill wells for water, have free medical clinics or build schools for the underprivileged in under-developed countries. I want to live my life in such a way that I bring glory to God and find joy in helping people who are not as fortunate as I am. 

I am passionate about the Gospel, adoption and sacrificially serving the underprivileged. I hope anyone who looks at my life will see these passions. I want to "Be The Change" that I want to see in this world. I want hope Be The Change Ministries will be an overflow of my heart and help others become passionate about things that bring glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment